home *** CD-ROM | disk | FTP | other *** search
/ Cream of the Crop 22 / Cream of the Crop 22.iso / bbs / rokv102.zip / ROK.ZIP / Q_AND_A.DOC < prev    next >
Text File  |  1996-11-04  |  8KB  |  154 lines

1. ┌──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
  2. │ Realm of Kisom Version 1.02               Troubleshooting, Hints, & Tips │
  3. └──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘
  5.    Here are some Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) that will hopefully
  6.    solve some problems that you may be experiencing with Realm of Kisom.
  8.    Question: "When a user tries to access ROK on my BBS, it doesn't do
  9.              anything, and simply returns them to the BBS!"
  11.    Answer  : This is most likely caused by your ROK Batch file not executing
  12.              ROK properly.   See the above section for information on how to
  13.              setup your batch file.
  15.              {*} NOTE - ROK *might* not be getting enough Memory!  Here's a
  16.                         way to check if this is the problem: If, in the ROK
  17.                         batch file, you have "@ECHO OFF", delete that, then
  18.                         run ROK again. It should know show you what's going
  19.                         on when it tries to execute ROK from your BBS.  See
  20.                         where it executes the command line - and if it says
  21.                         something like: "Not enough memory to run program",
  22.                         then that's the problem!  :-)  If you are unsure of
  23.                         just how much Memory your BBS takes up, run MEM.EXE
  24.                         in the batch file and see.   Then, consult your BBS
  25.                         Documentation for info on reducing memory usage. It
  26.                         should then work for you.   ROK automatically loads
  27.                         most of it's files into EMS, if it's available.
  29.    Question: "ROK has the OnNow flag ON for a user who isn't even in the
  30.              game!  Another user enters, challenges that person, and ROK
  31.              screws up there!  Help!"
  33.    Answer  : This error is caused by an Abnormal Exit from the game.  Either
  34.              ROK had an error, a lock-up, power failure, etc.  This does not
  35.              happen when a user drops carrier, though, ROK is smart that way.
  37.              For Single-Line BBS's, the solution is *very* simple.  Run
  38.              NOW_OFF.EXE in the batch file that runs ROK (explained above).
  39.              This will turn the OnNow flag off for every user *before* a
  40.              user enters the game.
  42.              For Multi-Node BBS's, this is the fix.  You can run NOW_OFF.EXE
  43.              if you wish.   However, a more important step is to notify your
  44.              users that after seven seconds of no response from the other end
  45.              of the online duel, a player can choose to leave the fight.
  47.              What the heck am I talking about?  Here's an example to help:
  49.              Player A has had an abnormal exit from the game.  The OnNow flag
  50.              for this character has remained "ON".  Player B enters the game,
  51.              sees that Player A is online, and challenges that player.  After
  52.              seven seconds of Player A not responding in the fight - Player B
  53.              can choose to leave it.  It's very simple!   After this Player A
  54.              doesn't respond, Player B should know that Player A isn't really
  55.              online.
  57.              Hope that explains it! :-)
  59.    Question: "Why the heck are there so many MSG*_*.DAT files?"
  61.    Answer  : Those are Message Data Files.  They're mail waiting to be read
  62.              by certain players.
  64.    Question: "I cannot figure out how to pass the correct Node Number to the
  65.              batch file ROK command line!  Help!"
  67.    Answer  : Each BBS Software is different.  Almost all of them use a symbol
  68.              to represent a Node Number.    You will have to consult your BBS
  69.              Software Documentation to see how to do it.  Sorry I can't be of
  70.              any more assistance in this area.
  72.    Question: "ROK locks up at the Introduction ANSI/RIP Screen!"
  74.    Answer  : Well, I don't have a clue why this should happen.  If this is a
  75.              persistant error, there is a Toggle to disable showing it. It's
  76.              in ROKCFG.EXE's (M)iscellaneous Maintenance Menu. Simply Toggle
  77.              it to OFF, and you should have no more problems.
  79.              {*} NOTE - You can experiment with the three different FOSSIL
  80.                         Driver types (explained above), that may cause the
  81.                         Into ANSI/RIP lockups to go away.
  83.    Question: "A player was able to marry someone who wasn't even in the game!"
  85.    Answer  : In ROKCFG.EXE's (M)iscellaneous Maintenance Menu, there is an
  86.              option to Divorce *ALL* Married Players in the Realm.  If this
  87.              error should ever happen, simply run this option, and everything
  88.              should be fine.
  90.    Question: "My registration code doesn't work!  Help me out, please!"
  92.    Answer  : Extensive testing has been done to ensure that your registration
  93.              code *should* work.  However, if it does not, DON'T PANIC! :-)
  95.              Simply contact the me, and I'd be more than happy to help you out
  96.              with this problem. Ways of contacting me are given on Page 8 of
  97.              the ROK Documentation (ROK.DOC).
  99.    Question: "I don't know how to change my US funds into Canadian Funds!"
  101.    Answer  : Don't bother!  I accept BOTH Canadian AND US Funds in registration
  102.              forms!
  104.    Question: "I use DORINFO1.DEF as my dropfile.  I use it to run all my
  105.              nodes.  ROK doesn't recognize that it's supposed to be Node #2
  106.              with a DORINFO1.DEF file!  Help!"
  108.    Answer  : Most BBS Softwares that support DORINFO also support DOOR.SYS.
  109.              If your BBS Supports both of these, try changing it to DOOR.SYS.
  110.              If not, then run ROK with this command line:
  112.              ROK.EXE * /P<pathtodropfile>
  114.              Where "*" is the node number, /P<pathtodropfile> tells ROK where
  115.              to look for the DropFile.  It does not matter if this path has the
  116.              trailing backslash ("\") or not.
  118.              I think that should work, hopefully.
  120.    Question: "I want to run Maintenance today - again!"
  122.    Answer  : Simply delete TIME.DAT from your ROK Directory.  The next time
  123.              ROK is ran, Maintenance will execute again.
  125.    Question: "I have a bug report that isn't addressed anywhere in your ROK
  126.              documentation!"
  128.    Answer  : Fabulous!  Fill out BUGRPT.FRM.  Send this to me.  Ways of
  129.              contacting me are given on Page 8 of the ROK Documentation.
  130.          *Please* be as clear as possible when explaining the report!
  131.          Also, please print, if you can, or write neatly! :)
  133.    Question: "I'm stumped.  Nothing seems to work!"
  135.    Answer  : Consult Page 7 in ROK.DOC.  There, it will give you the
  136.              ROK Command Line Parameters.  This, hopefully, will help you out.
  138.    I hope I have covered most of the topics here.  If your question is not
  139.    addressed, then feel free to contact me.  Ways of contacting me are given
  140.    on Page 8 of the ROK Documentation (ROK.DOC).
  142.    Alternatively, you may call my BBS - The Inner City BBS, at 1-306-694-5864.
  143.    There is an entire message base setup for ROK alone (Msg.Area #4).  This is
  144.    the area to discuss comments/suggestions on how to improve ROK, bug reports
  145.    and more.  Almost everything is addressed in this area.
  147.    Hopefully, soon, there will be a ROK Echo available on Plannet Connect.
  148.    When it is available, I will hopefully be addressing messages in there.
  150.    ** Hope that helps! **
  152. Devon Brooks - Blazing Fire Software
  153. End of Realm of Kisom v1.02 Q_And_A Documentation